The slumbering bear.


 
    I have been working at mapping out characters on the totem stone on most of the previous publications in hope of finding a potential timeline. Finding images in the stones around me has not been easy. Trying to convince the folks around me was like bringing a horse to water. Even those most close to me would find jest in my efforts, suggesting we play the pareidolia game. I am happy to say that I now have support from most of my loved ones. In this publication I would like to thank those that were brave enough to believe. This does require an open mind and a good eye. It helps if you already have an interest in art or archeology. 
     At first I did not really care about the timeline. I was often probed for the chronology of this work, as if it was the only matter that would make the work real. I suggested that as an artist, I was more interested in just making the public aware that this art existed. I became a crusader trying to bring light to the images I was finding in stone around me. I was often scolded by scientist. I tried to point out that this was art. I suggested that maybe they should start consulting artist more often since they may have missed an important part of archeology when not acknowledging the artistic language of the ancient humans. 
    On one of these crusades, I was welcomed to a friend's home out on the islands of Penobscot Bay. They were very kind and had watched me over the years as I struggled with finding this abundant material that had gone unnoticed. I had brought a few stones with me to share, which was not really necessary since there was an abundance of totem stones in their garden too. They had their own research going too, and  were interested in the calendar used by earlier peoples.  It was then that I started to speculate on how there was a pattern emerging in the placement of the totem characters that may indicate seasons. 
   While visiting that evening, sitting with a cup of tea with the dog lying next to us on the rug, there came a moment of enlightenment for my lovely host.  I was able to bring to light how good some of these archaic artist were. As I laid out to display some of the stones I had brought with me on the rug in front of us, I happened to lay a stone down next to the dog. Immediately it became clear how good these artist were. The well fed happy golden lab relaxing with belly bulging was almost a perfect echo of the lying bear in the stone.

 
   The golden lab lies with her body more aligned with her snout head on. The bear has a more S curve with her snout tucked under her right paw.  The artist that created the bear in the stone was accurate in their understanding of of the anatomy of the bear. You can sense the weight of the bear's bowels against the abdominal walls. You can sense life in the sculpture. It is as if its body will heave to life with it's next breath.  The artist ability to create and use shadow to give the illusion of volume to the form of the bear is done gracefully and well executed. The left shoulder is anatomically correct as its front left limb is tucked underneath the body. Her hips and buttock follow the alignment and end  with the hint of the tail. 
   

    I do not believe I can add anything to better highlight the artist intention. This piece of art speaks for itself as most of the totem stones. At this time I will stop here, although there are the other totem characters. With a little looking I am sure you can start picking them out. What I would really like to do now is thank those people who provided moral support. You have made a immense difference. It has allowed me to focus on the material rather then question my sanity. Thank you so much to Harry and his dog.







 

Comments

  1. Hi, Karola. Very interesting stuff. It is hard to know if what I see in the stone images is real or imagined. But then things like hands with five fingers you know you cannot be imagining. Your sketchings on the photos are helpful.

    It occurs to me that if a person did stone sculpting using only primitive tools, they might have valuable insight on how difficult and time consuming this was, and how much fine detail could be realized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the style reflects an individual or period. Unless there was some advantage that we are not aware of, I suspect they have taken generations to create. I don t want to rub it in, but humans seem to conveniently forget a lot. Hey, but luckily we took the time to record everything in stone. Makes total sense to me. When you explore the hash marks of the burrows of giant sloth in south America you find this was done with claws over generations. we were doing it too. cave man style. sorry I did not respond sooner. I just figured out how to respond on blogger. please share if you dare.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Maine Totem Stone

The T-pillars of Maine

From the Ice of Canada, to Maine, to Ethiopia, Lithic Literature Tells the Story.