The Fishhook Layer in Lithic Literature.







 

 I am going to try to keep looking at rocks and fishhooks exciting for the viewers 😅. I am not a writer although I am slowly becoming one. I know I will never be great, but I feel it is helpful to document my findings and at the same time make them accessible to folks. In some ways my simple vocabulary to explain a complex design is not a bad thing. I may need to teach people how to see the material in order to speak about content. In this article I will cover the fishhook history as described in the design. With all that said I want to emphasize that the viewing/seeing/looking of the design in the stone itself is where you will find your answers. I am hoping that with this article covering fishing tackle, I may lure a co-writer from academia that might find my work interesting. I have chosen a garden stone with some oxidized designs using traces of iron in the rock thinking that metallurgy would be a good vein to follow in the fishhook story. 




The rusted fishhook designs were not the only images that drew me to this stone as a possible site to explore fishing gear. As I inspected the stone in different positions this flat fish was clear. It may also represent a good method of harvesting, and preparing fish by drying and salting for storage.   
 





 I dove in and looked around and it was not long before I came across the infamous Captain Hook. I did not need to look far to find the time ticking alligator. I have been fishing and swimming and even enjoyed fish tanks growing up, but I am far from an expert. I am hoping to present this layer on fishhooks to the archeology dept in hopes that my observations can somehow enhance or contribute to the study of fishhooks happening in the department. I am taking on a big bite using a new stone and new subject but it feels good, but I wonder if they can take me seriously😏 if I start with Captain Hook? 

 While looking for terminology describing hooks used in fishing tackle I found the word gaff to best describe the hook held by its owner. Below I have added a couple of screen shots of what I found online. I will remind you right now that hooks are useful in many other activities other than catching fish. You will find that sewing needles and hooks  are also connected to this layer. The use of twine, string and rope also have multiple uses. All these activities can be found in the stones when approached with the right focus. 



   Those of you that have been following this blog understand that we are actually on an archeological dig and we are going layer by layer of a very complex design left behind for us by previous humans. As we have noted we are looking for any information about fishhooks or in this case fishing gaffs. I have been following human activity in and around the ocean for a while now. A lot of the information on the stones is practical. Look with your own eyes and see what you pick up on the stone below. Make your own notes. You may see all sorts of wonderful things. I am looking around for fishing tackle and techniques 👀👀👀. 


 While you were getting acquainted with our new dig, I was looking at the alligator near by. I have highlighted an alligator in the image below.  The alligator is not new in this blog. It seems to always be there. I have added a link to an article where I explore the alligator.





https://karolabryant.blogspot.com/2024/06/i-have-to-wonder-what-had-driven-me-to.html

 In our new stone we are looking at the man presenting the gaff to safely capture an alligator. Before we can go alligator hunting we will need a lot of rope. The artist that partook in Lithic Literature were skilled in rendering braids and rope. Please take a moment and look for rope or braids.   As in the article about the design in the sands of Africa the ropes were used to not only in overcoming prey but also to overcome the enemy. At one time we were all vying for cave space with bears, lions, large cats, etc. See link below.


https://karolabryant.blogspot.com/2024/05/a-closer-look-at-article-on-fossilized.html

https://youtube.com/shorts/Li21vyqt9bQ?si=3lDPB1qD8hKwn9TS
 

I included a quick video covering rope making to help viewers visualize ancient rope making. 

https://youtu.be/Hq-ceDo4_PA?si=dSYMd5QFiNVSZmGs





 I am going to take a little time viewing what is happening with Captain Hook in the story. It does not bother me that Walt Disney beat me to the character. It really just gives me more support. I am sure Mr. Disney knew his way around the stones as did many others, but rather than making up a story, I am trying to take the information as practical suggestions to how to avoid danger and survive. 




 Looking at the image above, think about sitting on the stone cropping on the upper right with your feet dangling over the alligators collecting in the water below. I think I will try to lower the hook with some bait and see if I can catch me an alligator for lunch. I know that there is an alligator response to spin when overpowering prey or to assist dismembering. It is not hard to imagine an alligator after being baited and hooked that it would then spin itself into a perfect bundle with all of my extra rope and then bring the gator home to start that gumbo😋, but be careful he does not bite your hand off!

 I was not expecting Lithic Literature's admiration for the hook, but after seeing  how versatile and effective the hook can be, I understand. Looking again at the stone below you can spot other prey and activities where a gaff would be effective including fishing, whaling, birding, or anything else that may require your full attention. The skill of capturing and tying prey was important. With your artist's eye hover above the hook and find the shark, whale, bird, fish etc., providing you with a plethora of choices. 
  As you explore the possibilities allow your attention back to the ropes. With the combination of the animal layer, the ropes, and hooks your mind can start putting together bridles and harnesses. Once you start picking up on the hardware, you can start putting together other items like cleats and pulleys and masts for sailing. If anyone would benefit from designing hardware it would be a sailor and maybe it was Captain Hook? 


 
 Before we leave this layer I wanted to point out one more layer here with the hardware, ropes, and alligator. I offer the article about the cave art in Africa that presented a beautifully rendered deer. Below, I have clipped the deer form form the article and placed it by our alligator and it fits nicely. You can start to get a sense of how this design is put together. The draftsmanship required to create can not be overstated and the brains capacity to follow the thread of information is sublime. Each layer is linked by subject and design. The deer offers itself as food for the alligator, but it also offers the antler and leg bone to the fishhook/gaff maker. Another example is a lumpy sea sponge which is found on the ocean floor, you will also find the same image of the sponge onboard the boat to transfer water. You can actually follow the sponge being passed around by the sailors to take a drink of water. It is also the lumpy nose of the older sailor that may indicate a possible malady due to overexposure on the high seas. That same spongy nose is also found in the grandfather layer as the little grandbaby gives it a gripping pinch. I cover some of the boating designs in the article below. Please take the time to look up the sponge story. I think the sponge story really shows how layers are tied together and shared. From the bottom of the sea as a filtering creature, then brought on board to facilitate transfer of water, to the nose of the old sailor reminding you to protect your nose from the sun, and the celebration of the new member of the family, the humble sponge plays a role in Lithic literature.  


https://karolabryant.blogspot.com/2022/04/tracking-down-lithic-literature-stones.html

Hooking back around to the article about the deer and the alligator I would like to share a few ways the deer and alligator layer intersect. With further inspection the deer antler starts to make sense you can start putting together the extensive selection of horn and antler to pick from.  I believe we are starting to skirt the layer where the kinds of materials are suggested for the making of a gaff/hook. The design is showing the viewer how to choose the best medium for the gaff to best meet your needs. I think antler would be a great choice!







 






Take a moment to explore the different horns and antlers suggested by the screenshot from an internet search of horns and antlers above. While holding some the the shapes suggested in the search in the front of your mind, look at the area above and around the deer sticker created from an Southern African stone wall art above, and linger. You should start to pick up the bovine family. We can take a little break after you spot the hoofed animals all following the deer to the water for a drink. You will find what ever type of horn or antler here. 
 I think here is a good moment to take a break from looking and affirm some goals in this venture as the subjects start cascading off the stone. This is a new stone for me and I am orienting myself to the artist, the time, the medium. With each type of stone the artist must adjust to the texture, grain, density, hardness, etc. The use of oxidating iron traces to enhance the design in this stone is an intelligent decision made by the artist. While finding my sea legs with this new stone I begin to fathom the enormity of the hook in human development. 
  I may seem like I am all over the place and if I had an editor they would be the first to tell me so, and I get it. At the same time I am documenting material in real time, which is the most fun. I get happy when I see a new pattern, or an old pattern presented in a new way. I am confident that I am on the right track, but I am only human and I will make mistakes. I try to follow-up and make corrections but I find that the greater mistake is seeing something and not documenting it. I am building my own reference for Lithic Literature the best I can. I am also documenting my experience as I process material. It is an archeological observational study of the design, but I also include myself in the study because initially a lot of folks were frightened by the thought of mental illness that has been used to gaslight this type of ancient human communication. So thank you for your patience. Okay, coffee break.🍵


 There are times when the amount of new material is so abundant that I feel the need to pinch myself. Can all of this be real? I am trying to figure that out, and the more I look, the more incredible it becomes, but I am sure that even the folks studying the t-pillars will start to pinch themselves a little harder when they start seeing the full extent of the design. 😏



 It is so much more than just an icon to promote reverence from the past. It has an unexpected depth to it. It truly dips into the mind of the an intelligent being doing its best to record and document. We are trying to do the same here, so please bear with me as I try to somehow document and organize material. Someday this will all be presented on a timeline that everyone can use to explore this huge body of information.💓
 I am dipping into the bottom of the design on our new stone, trying to follow the fishhook story.  It took me to what may be the beginning of the story and it appears to begin with early human's close eye on the behavior of other animals. The fishhook layer starts with  giving credit to the elephants trunk with its dexterity and extension, the aye-aye with its long finger with little gaff like claw, the big floppy eared ape with a stick, even the giraffe with neck extension and long tongue and may more, all work with the same basic concepts as a gaff. Below, I did a little digging around in the internet into the aye-aye after spotting it at the base of the stone. I was amazed of how well it fell into place. It makes sense that I can follow design and that everyone else can do the same. The design was created by humans and developed with humans through the ages. As our existence molded us, we documented the changes and observations in the design as we experienced them. It is really human user friendly. It is not chicken scratch. Our Captain Hook is showing off all the things that he can do with his fancy hook. He brags he is as nimble as an elephant's trunk or as long as giraffe's neck.  Link below is helpful.

https://imbaliartbooks.org.za/southern-african-rock-art/
   





 If you hover over this area and even follow the up the center of the design as the gaff points to its humble beginnings. I have taken a little time to pick out the large floppy ears of a chimp. You can follow the hook as the chimp uses if as a gaff/spear. For those who are able to follow me here, I thank you for your patience. The view offered  from here by Lithic literature is spectacular. The designer is able to use and reuse features and actions of the subjects to expand the knowledge and understanding, and instruction for humans to survive. This design is not without roots deep into the mind of the early humans. It reveals our perception of the world around us over millions of years. It takes on the coordinate system like a juggernaut. It takes on the world of knowledge like a vine that can encompass everything in its twisting tendrils. I do believe this design was initiated and developed by folks at least as early as erectus as we began to accumulate knowledge about the world around us. The vastness of information found here is explained by the timeline. You need to stand way back to grasp the immensity of it all. I do believe it is the information on the stones that has been the lifeline for humans as we recover from the bottlenecks in the past and maybe even in the future.
 










  As I research the human history in Lithic Literature connected to the fish hook, I am amazed. I was not expecting to start with Captain Hook, but in the end it is my introduction to the fishhook layer. I feel confident we are on the right track. We have distilled the origins of the design as we look at examples of the hook in nature. Now lets look around an see what materials we may have chosen to make a hook work for humans.
 The oxidized traces of iron in the stone remined me of the metal fish hooks in my dads old tackle box.  Some times the hooks would be all clustered and rusty. I was sure I would see some reference to metallurgy in the fishhook story. 


 I was looking around the information presented, it made me pause over the  shepherd's hook. I continued to the smelting process where I was consumed by the many hours and resources it took to complete. The combinations of wood and bone/antler are also possible. I did find this article linked below, illuminating. 

  
https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/2023-03-29/ty-article/israeli-archaeologists-find-one-of-worlds-oldest-metal-fishhooks-and-its-for-sharks/00000187-1e8c-d4ca-afff-1f8c11da0000

In the image highlighted below, there appears to be a female. she is taking some of the same pathways as we saw in the punching action but this action appears more of an up and down motion.  I have included a link to an article that covers the action of the punch. 

https://karolabryant.blogspot.com/2024/06/a-small-granite-mountain.html
 

I am afraid that with the concepts of a drill action as a multitasking event opens a can of worms. I am enjoying all the action, but documenting all the hands gesturing can get overwhelming when trying to keep the story short. I am working hard to present this study to the university in a timely fashion to see if it contributes to the fishhook study happening in the archeology department at this time. I know I will not be able to document each gesture as the hands preform all the action it takes to create the fishhook in one article. I am hoping that the archeology dept may be able to pick out some of the actions that I have highlighted as something worth their time, then I could refocus on their interest.


https://youtu.be/xDUbuMMiSOw?si=EX4BnJAzrA05nX7R


https://youtu.be/pAr6pfC3GOs?si=GS2l0XArX0_1Izsn


https://youtu.be/J0wbeWqyOP8?si=yD02EiNBNJDOOs7Q


In the image above the female form appears to be kneeling with her upper body postured to work. I also noticed what appears to be wood; piles of wood that even start taking the form of a shelter. The person could be fishing, paddling a dug out canoe, working with a scraper, she could even be using a pump-drill.  She could be hanging the pot using a hook over the fire to start that delicious gumbo. With all those activities employing wood, including the fire to cook the gumbo layer all share wood as a possible material/resource/fuel.

 I followed some of the tree patterns and found that the design suggested what part of the tree was best to harvest to create the angle or curve for your hook. If you follow the shape of hook you are looking for you can line it up with a particular spot in the structure of the tree that would best suited for your design. It also appears they were shaping the hook while still attached to the tree and allowing it to grow to desired dimensions.




 In the image below I tried to present some of the possible wooden structures including gear like spear, gaff, paddle, staff, fishing pole, etc. The idea of a shelter presented here is part of the pattern in the stones. You can rotate around the stone and catch other forms of shelters such as caves, teepees, wigwams, skin lean-tos and other inventions for protection. At this point of the rotation we have landed in a wooden structure, it even sports a chimney. It even suggest the tying of timber to create a raft along the lower right angle. You are probably wondering what all of this has to do with the fishhook? When you start putting the fishhook story together all these bit of information will help fill in the timeline. The fishhook is super important in human history and had different profiles depending on the culture, climate, and location. Please bare with me. I see it too. It is as if we are looking at an old abandoned tacklebox left upside-down with the line in knots, but I promise using Lithic Literature we will tease out what is happening. I want to remind folks that I am holding my stone so the wooden structure is the one of choice, I have suggested that there is a counter clockwise rotation on the stone and if you turn your stone you may find a different shelter, for example a teepee. If you are looking at your own personal stone see if you have other shelters as you turn your stone. I think wood has been a resource for building a long time. We will explore other shelters before we leave.
  


  After looking into the wooden structure presented in the stone above, I spotted the vertical support with a V notch at the top as the supporting timber. I have found mammoth shelters, caves, wigwams teepees where the design allows you to enter the space and feel at home. It offers an open house. It shows how well everything is organized. The same goes for this wooden structure presented in our new dig, including a skin on a stretcher drying propped near the fire. 


 As I research my findings, I will share videos that I come across that help viewers visualize the action taking place in the stone. As I contemplate the enormity of the fishhook, realize I can chose just about any subject to focus on. While I am looking at the collection of images above I drift in to the history of hats! At first I roll my eyes and tell myself to stay with the program and focus on the fishhook! Then I wake up in the morning thinking every fisherman needs a hat! Sometimes I get frustrated when the design starts waving hats in my face. It reminds me of the quadruped sticking its nose into the pregnant scene reminding me that the pregnant female should be transported sidesaddle. So yes, a hat is important for the fisherman who must protect his nose from the elements. I added some of the hat suggestions. There are many suggestions and they are not all good fishing hats.  I turn to my grandson for his suggestions for the best fishing gear.🥰 Quick reminder, this stone is from my garden. It could have been worked on as recent as 1970's. The folks that lived and worked to build rail roads as well as masons from around the world were aware and partook in lithic literature and recorded their experience too. The stone age is still here today, and we are thankful in the diversity of the human existence. In the end it is our super power to survive. 















Fire
https://youtu.be/1O8XEKD6-5k?si=RhfDuniAaZgP-APe


Bone
https://youtu.be/C4mgiVF4jH8?si=vvb-tVV7bT6nO5Bc

https://youtube.com/shorts/3ej3cJxPCD8?si=QJIHhReeW6QAosYP
Wood

https://youtube.com/shorts/3ej3cJxPCD8?si=QJIHhReeW6QAosYP


  I try to include another location from around the world to add as a comparison. The information in the stone is not an isolated event. It is a well organized set of data developed on a coordinate system that is complex. I have chosen a site found by Greta Delirio from Zaragoza Spain. She has been lovely to allow me to include this image. I was looking for a site that might have the qualities for smelting fishhooks and see if it complemented the information that we were finding in our Maine stone. 
 


It was the protected hearth that first drew me to the site but when it reached up and offered me a fishhook, I agreed to take the bait. It is perfect. I was presented with the fishhook work shop. I have added a few explorations as well. It is my way of documenting and sharing. I hope you enjoy my results. I am so delighted. I am drawn in by the large figure above with the fishhook in hand. The design then gestures to the collection of what could be rocks. Could they be gesturing to the smelting process?



 We would need a fire and this does look like a good set up for a hearth. We have saturated ourselves with the possibility of a layer devoted to fire making with a drill. With the human marks offered here, I was able to put together the bow and string and then a good body position to do the action.   



There is a lot of hand action as we are taken through all the steps. I am not going deeper into all the action here in Spain at this time. I am will be happy to return to this site in the future. Most hearths are well protected from the elements preserving the engravings. The hearth from Spain has paid off.


THE SPARKS FLEW! We have fire! As well as a drill. You can imagine I am thrilled!😇👏



In the image above it appears that a large single human is fine to do all the work. Below I have highlighted another possibility of a group effort. You can take a look around and pick up different activities in fire building like collecting wood, blowing on the embers or selecting rocks for smelting etc. If you scroll back to the Maine stone, we can put the same actions together.



In the image below we are adding some personal touches to our fish hook designs.

I am happy with the results. Below we have a beautiful selection of hook designs. Not all of them may be for fish. Using a line of hooks to snare a rafter of turkeys is reported as effective. On the right it is suggested to use a duckling for bait.




Finally we are manning the boat. We are bringing poles, hooks, lines, sinkers, gaff and a net. Should be a great day. Wish us luck.


Back in Maine we find folks ice fishing. There will be an offering of different fishing techniques, tackle, wardrobe, etc.  Below you can compare the two techniques. The use of the fishing pole can keep the person warmer by allowing the human to retain body heat without having to extend arms and hands into the cold. If you have your gaff ready you may land a seal. If your lucky you can find an alligator held in the ice. 


Below we are presented with other suggestions for bait. On the left looks like a crawdad is a good choice. If you allow yourself, you can find reference of humans skindiving to harvest shellfish. That water must be super cold, but those shellfish will be a nice and fatty treat. You can start seeing a shellfish/snail start taking form as a possible resource for fishhook.


When held further away, the whole stone shifts is form from a flat fish to a lovely seashell. I have flipped the stone completely over and we are now looking at the other side of the stone. I must say the feel has suddenly taken a pacific feel. 







The shelter looks like its made of grass skirting wrapped around a wooden support. The shelter appears to have a lot of woven mats. If you make you way to the entrance of the shelter, there will be a female often seated working on textiles. You can spot the ocean waves lapping the shore near by. It feels very different from the fishing experience on the other side of the stone where I saw a few folks making deer antler ice-skates. It is as if we were on the other side of the world. I biggest impression is the basket/matt weaving.




Below I have included some perspectives on the hand action for fire making and drill work. I can see reference to wire making and bending. If you look you can see the hands and teeth working out the design from the metal smelted. You can spy a flat shiny strip that would be rolled into a wire the shaped into the hook or other tackle. I have been looking for a swivel too and spotting possibilities. 





 

 Below I have included some drilling examples for the seashell fishhook design. Look around and see if you can pick out the different stages in the stone.




I assure you if you wanted me to hone in on a particular type of fishhook I could but I thought an overview would be a good start. I want to thank the university for suggesting I explore the fishhook. I had no idea how important the fishhook is in human history. 






I want to thank everyone for your support. I am winding down is article with a few added exploration of the new stone. I hope to quickly get this article printed as picture magazine which very affordable to pass to the Archaeology dept. I hope they find it helpful. Thank you for looking.


































 



I hope you have enjoyed looking at rocks and hooks as much as I have. I decided to change it up a little and explore the possibilities of giants in Lithic literature.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Maine Totem Stone

The T-pillars of Maine

From the Ice of Canada, to Maine, to Ethiopia, Lithic Literature Tells the Story.